I was called out to investigate the possibility of the production of the toxic gas carbon monoxide in Woodley Stockport on Tuesday, after the audible CO detector had been triggered the day before. National Grid were first on the scene, and one of their engineers had simply capped off the gas supply to the whole property and had advised the customer to get the gas fire checked out by a qualified, Gas Safe registered engineer as soon as possible.
I suggested to the customer that a service of the fire would be a good start, and probably indicate if the appliance was clogged up with dust, dirt and falling debris from the chimney. I don’t think the fire had been serviced for many years, as the appliance was caked in thick dust in every orifice, whilst the catchment area behind the fire was thick with muck and debris that had fallen down the chimney over the years (see picture) and was potentially causing an obstruction to the natural ventilation of the product.
The dust and fur found all over the fire was also potentially blocking the burner and gas injectors so everything had to be thoroughly cleaned. After testing the whole installation to check that everything was in order, I left the customer happy in the knowledge that everything was working correctly, and more importantly, safely! Gas is not something that should be messed around with, and carbon monoxide is a very, very toxic gas that can kill a human being in a matter of minutes! Moral of the story? Don’t put it off! Get your gas appliances serviced and checked out every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer such as myself.
Available for your calls and qoutes.
All Areas Covered: Stockport, Cheadle, Bramhall, Hazel Grove, Bredbury, Wilmslow, Wythenshawe, Didsbury, Sale, Stretford, Rusholme, Withington, Denton, Reddish, All South and Central Manchester, Cheshire
All Jobs Welcome
AREAS THAT I COVER